Teaching and Activities
The children will find out about the importance of storytelling in Anglo-Saxon culture, look at some Old English and attempt some translation.
- To understand the importance of oral storytelling in Anglo-Saxon society.
- To become familiar with an epic poem written in Anglo-Saxon times.
- Discuss story telling as an important part of Anglo-Saxon culture understand that stories were passed down orally so that they changed over time.
- Understand that the Anglo-Saxons spoke an old form of English that has evolved into the modern language today.
- Understand the term ‘alliteration’ and use the poetic technique.