Teaching and Activities
Start by thinking about the types of materials the Maya might have had available to make objects out of. Make predictions about which materials would be used for certain types of objects. Think about which materials would rot and which would survive. Plan an experiment to test what rots and what doesn't.
- To deduce what materials the Maya had available to make things out of.
- To plan and carry out an experiment to test the properties of materials.
- Make deductions about Maya material culture based on historical knowledge.
- Use their knowledge about the properties of materials to decide what they were used for.
- Devise experiments to test hypotheses.