Planning and Activities
Learn about the need for rationing and ‘make do and mend’ during the war; sew a simple rag-bag toy.
- To build a timeline of when resources were rationed during WW2 and to begin to consider how rationing might have affected families at home.
- To begin to understand that much of our food and many other resources are imported and why rationing was therefore important during WW2.
- To use the internet safely to research rationing.
- To practise the skill of sewing by making a rag-bag toy.
- Understand the reasons for the introduction of rationing during WW2.
- Consider and then research what rationing meant for people at home.
- Discuss the idea of ‘make do and mend’ and consider why that phrase was important to people, even after rationing had ended.
- Practise the idea of ‘make do and mend’ by sewing a simple rag-bag toy.