Teaching and Activities
Explore the oldest recorded story: The Epic of Gilgamesh. Discover how fact and fantasy are often interwoven.
- To understand that the Epic of Gilgamesh is the oldest recorded story that has been discovered.
- Explain that the clay tablets recording the story have been fragmented over time, which makes it difficult for translators.
- Retell the story of part of the Epic of Gilgamesh.
- Write a letter in role to the gods explaining why either Gilgamesh or Enkidu should have died in the story.
- Explain that the Epic of Gilgamesh is the oldest recorded story.
- Retell the story of Gilgamesh.
- Understand that the story does contain factual information as well as fantasy.