- Collect, observe and draw a range of invertebrate creatures from the local environment.
- Use an invertebrate key to identify the group and type of creature found
- Hunt for invertebrates in their local environment and bring specimens back to the classroom (Yr3&4).
- Use an invertebrate key to identify the group/type of creatures found, e.g. mollusc/slug (Yr3&4).
- Create a turning wheel that reveals invertebrates drawn from life (Yr3&4) and information about the features of that group (Yr4).
- Illustrate the page with drawings and invertebrate facts (Yr3 2 facts & Yr4 3-4 facts).
Investigation - exploring, observing, classifying and identifying
Create a turning wheel page on Invertebrate creatures. Go on a bug hunt in the local environment. Identify creatures using an invertebrate key. Learn main groups and features.
Year 3 - Create a 6 section invertebrate turn wheel, name each creature and write 2 facts for each.
Year 4 - Name a different group of invertebrates in each section (e.g. mollusc) and include an illustrated example and features.
Vertebrates, invertebrates, classify, classification, insects, spiders, worms, woodlice, habitat, slugs, snails, molluscs, annelids, echinoderms, arthropods, crustaceans, arachnids