Planning and Activities
Take part in a series of activities to improve your knowledge and understanding of map symbols, keys, compass direction and grid references. Will you win a gold medal at the map Olympics?
- To explore, learn and use map symbols and keys.
- To explore, learn and use four and six-figure grid references.
- To explore, learn and use compass directions.
- Complete a symbol and key map quiz.
- Play ‘Battleships’ using four and six-figure grid references.
- Use the eight points of a compass to direct people to a mystery location.
- Research and write a visitor’s guide for a local historical site.
- Describe key features and places to visit in the style of a visitor guide.
- Make a table format visitor guide with grid-references and hyperlinks.
- Create a map symbol art poster.
- Write a clear description of features in a map grid square.