- Understand that rocks are formed in 3 different ways.
- Devise comparative tests for rocks, record and evaluate observations and results.
- Devise their own fair test for the hardness of rocks and put a group of samples in rank order of hardness.
- Devise a fair test for permeability and record results and observations in tabular form.
- Test rocks with acid (vinegar) to discover if they are made of the shells of dead creatures.
- Use a rock identification key to discover what type of rock each sample is.
Investigation - exploring, fair testing, classifying and identifying
Investigate the properties of different rocks with fair testing e.g. permeability, hardness and an acid test for the presence of calcium carbonate. Use a rock identification key.
Petrologist, man-made rocks, brick, tile, concrete, igneous, sedimentary, metamorphic, permeable, impermeable, acid, erosion, marble, chalk, limestone, slate, granite, sandstone, identification key