Hamilton provide 27 days' of revision materials for Year 6 maths SATs. In order to take advantage of this material and give you children the best preparation possible, you need to teach some Spring Term material at the end of Autumn Term, and start revision teaching before the Easter holidays.
Hamilton's Year 6 maths planning ensures that every part of the Y6 content is covered before the statutory assessments in mid-May. Specifically, we provide:
- Autumn Term: 12 weeks and 3 days teaching
- Spring Term: 11 weeks teaching
- Summer Term:
- 27 days of revision activities
- Supplementary teaching after the SATs
This teaching is inevitably tight as there is so much to cover. Each teacher will need to pace this teaching to suit their class and, importantly, term dates. For the academic year 2018-2019, please note:
- In order to use all 27 days of revision materials before week beginning 13th May, Spring Term teaching must be started at the end of Autumn Term, in the last week(s) before Christmas.
- Revision teaching must be started before the Easter holidays.
Overall, in order to fit ALL the teaching in, including revision, before mid-May, there is little room for manoeuvre. Teachers who feel that they need to spend more time on a key skill in order for most children to nail it, should adjust by taking some time from a week where the teaching is of a skill which is not key, or a skill which children have already mastered. The revision Units do allow for revisiting and we have tried to second guess those skills which a majority of teachers in Y6 will feel it is necessary to revise. However, obviously the revision units should be adapted by teachers to suit the needs of their own class.